Saturday, October 3, 2009

approved by Female Marketer X

Bob needed a mastermind for business advice, instead he relied on his poker buddies.

...when I moved to Atlanta in 2002 I met a florist named Bob who played in my weekly poker game.
I ran into Bob Yesterday at Trader Joe's. The dude is on anti-depressants. His business has gone from $650k+ a year to under $100k. In my opinion, Bob doesn't need psycho-pharmaceuticals, he needs marketing that works! Sometimes I feel like Cassandra, the Greek Goddess who had the gift of foresight yet was cursed with folks not believing her. I'm just sayin' Here's the story of Bob... People ask me marketing questions all the time... unfortunately the questions most people ask aren't what I can see as the most profitable for them to be focusing on.

Bob needed a mastermind for business advice, instead he relied on his poker buddies.

After a couple months of playing poker together...
Bob brought a yellow-pages phone book to our poker game. Bob was showing off his new Yellow Pages ad & asking everybody what they thought of his ad. Everybody except me was complimenting him on his ad in the new phone book (Remember this was 2002).

Bob asked for my opinion of his Yellow-Pages ad...
I told him if he gave me $1 I would tell him. This upset Bob, what in poker is called going on tilt. I proceeded to win about $120 from Bob that night, and then he really wanted me to tell him what I thought of his ad, for free. I learned the hard-way that I will only give my professional advice when somebody pays me. The point of the $1 wasn't the buck, it was for the construct of Bob receiving professional advice. When Bob finally paid me $1 3-weeks later...

I told Bob his Yellow-Pages ad was irrelevant! The problem was actually that Bob had a business based Yellow-Page Marketing, a dying medium.

I said...
MEDIA & the ECONOMY have changed, right? You either join the social marketing revolution or you join the ranks of the Buggy Whip Manufacturers.

What Bob really needs... Proven Tools & Tricks, with hands-on LIVE examples of How to use Social Media for BU$INE$$ & make Bigger Profits Now.

No comments: